As the holidays approach, it’s easy to start thinking: “How am I going to eat right? What about a frequent workout plan?”
At Farrell’s, we give you the skill set to remain on track. Focusing on nutrition and exercise will keep you accountable to your later goals.
You can start building healthy habits right away by trying a free week of fitness classes at FXB West Des Moines. Here are a few other tips to help you make it through the upcoming season while still going after your goals.
4 Helpful Tips to Navigate the Holiday Season
1. Set Your Alarm Clock
Do your workout immediately in the morning if your schedule permits it. The last few months of the year are hectic, but it’s better to tick your workout off your to-do list—instead of telling yourself you’ll make it up tomorrow.
2. Plan Your Meals
It’s easier to plan your meals a few days beforehand, instead of making poor decisions when you’re hungry and without a dinner plan. Our Simple Meal Plan makes grocery shopping and meal planning nearly effortless. Contact us to receive your copy.
If you’re eating out during the weekend, modify your meals the other days to keep your nutrition in check.
Related: 6 Reasons Why Farrell’s Nutrition Works
Sample Weekday Meal Plan
Here’s an example of a weekly meal plan you can customize:
- Breakfast: healthy protein shake
- Lunch: nutrient-filled salad with fresh veggies and protein
- Dinner: chicken with a salad, acorn squash or sweet potato
Here’s a simple brined chicken recipe from AllSpice Culinarium in Des Moines.
You only need two ingredients:
- One whole chicken
- All Spice Brining Mix (half packet)
- Boil 3 cups of water in a small saucepan. Stir in a half packet of the brining mix and boil until the crystals dissolve.
- While you are waiting for the brine, rinse the chicken under cold water. Place the chicken in a large stockpot with cold water and ice until the chicken is fully underwater. Pour brine into the stockpot and stir to consistently distribute.
- Cover with a lid and refrigerate overnight. The following day, rinse the chicken before cooking it.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Put the chicken in a roasting pan, breast side up and brush olive oil or butter over the chicken. (Optional: Stuff with celery and onion.)
- Bake uncovered for 75 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 180 degrees. Toward the end of baking, broil your chicken if you like it browned.
- Remove from oven and let the chicken rest for 15-20 minutes.
You can also follow this recipe to bake your Thanksgiving turkey. If cooking turkey, use the entire packet of brining mix.
3. Take a Cozy Break
Get your favorite blanket, find a cozy spot and take a nap. A 30-minute nap is refreshing and helps you remain healthy during the busy holiday season.
If you need help falling asleep, check out the Calm app. You’ll rest calmly and wake to a pleasant chorus of birds, not a loud phone alarm.
4. Enjoy the Season
Commit to find joy in the upcoming busy season.
- Schedule a supper with family
- Lower your everyday stress by spending time on Sundays meal planning
- Take a break when you need it
Build Healthy Habits Today with FXB
Now is the time to begin making healthy habits to carry you through the holidays. At Farrell’s West Des Moines, we’ll show you how to manage nutrition, exercise and more. Get started today by claiming your free week of classes with us.